Thursday 8 April 2021

5 Minutes of Camp

 LI:To recount a 5 minute snapshot of one experiance you had at camp


A high beam experience. 


“Ready, Set, Climb!”Now it’s the time for me to start climbing. I hesitated as I raised my foot and laid it on the first step on the ladder. I was shaking on the inside with fear as thoughts were flying around in my head. I started to carry on climbing the ladder as my heart started racing.


“Start climbing on the staples!” the instructor yelled out as I got to the final step on the ladder. I took my first step onto the closest staple to me. I knew I had to try and make it to the top. I raised my left leg onto the next staple. I carried on until I made it to the beam.


Before I could lay one foot on the beam I could feel myself shaking but I knew I needed to at least try and make it onto the beam. I put my left leg on the beam and pushed my other leg onto it. I could hear my group supporting me.


Then I heard the instructor yell out, “Do you want to go halfway or all the way?” I thought to myself if I go all the way my group would feel proud of me. So I replied, “I want to go all the way!” As I took my first step I gripped onto the rope and carried on walking across the beam.


Once I made it to the next pole I hugged it as if it was my friend. I walked to the middle of the beam while my legs were shaking and both of my hands gripped the rope attached to me. Before I went back down I tried to balance on one leg and then try to touch my foot.

After that, I needed to lean backwards while facing the trees. When I was ready I pushed off the beam, and on the way down I watched how my group was smiling and clapping for me.

Last week we went to camp at Kokako Lodge. My 5 minute snapshot shows my personal voice and I have tried hard to paint a picture with my words to describe what I was doing and how I felt.

I found this activity fun because I got to share my high beam experiance.

1 comment:

  1. A good piece of writing that really encapsulates those five minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.