Wednesday 10 June 2020

Subtraction using place value

This week I taught a group on how to solve a subtraction problem using place value.

To solve this equation '207-20' I first broke up the second number which is twenty. When breaking up the twenty it should be writen like '20+0'.

Next I added the ones from the twenty to two hundred and seven. This part was easy because two hundred and seven take away zero equals the same number (207).

Lastly I needed to subtract twenty from two hundred and seven. Two hundred and seven take away twenty equals one hundred and eighty seven which means my answer to this equation is '187'.

I found using place value helpful because the sequance of using place value was easy to understand which made it even easier for me to solve the equations using place value.

LI:To subtract by place value






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.